School's Direct Initial Teacher Training
National Teaching School
As a National Teaching School, Bitterne Park School is the lead school for the Bitterne Park Teaching School Alliance, a growing partnership of primary and secondary schools working with the University of Southampton to deliver high quality training and professional development for teachers.
The Bitterne Park Teaching School Alliance has a proven track record of developing teachers at all stages of their career. Our alliance will be able to provide you with a diverse range of school placements to broaden your experience of primary or secondary education. Our partner schools serve urban and inner city areas, as well as Wiltshire and the New Forest. Our training programme is accredited by the University of Southampton.
School Direct Training Programme
School Direct is an innovative school-based teacher training route. Trainees work alongside outstanding practitioners and staff who are experienced in delivery of high quality Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in a range of contexts. School Direct trainees spend a greater proportion of their time training in the classroom and in school. There are tuition fees of £9,000 but you will be eligible for the same financial support as with other fee paying postgraduate teacher training routes. You may also be eligible for a bursary while you train. For more information go to:
What will we provide for you?
• A comprehensive induction programme;
• Support from highly skilled mentors and subject tutors;
• A progressive training programme delivered throughout the year;
• A second school placement in a contrasting school;
• University Subject Training Days and Quality Assurance;
• A minimum of 60 days’ training activity;
• Award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) with 60 Master’s credits.